Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Cradle of Creativity

I was sitting on the porch early this morning when I realized that I have spent the past few days in deep concentration over a few new books. I got so lost in what I was reading that I forgot time, place (almost) and all the usual daily anxieties.

The moment I realized that I felt a warm flow of happiness pulsate through my body. This is it, I thought, this is the true meaning of everything. To be able to focus on what challenges your mind and tickles your interest and forgetting all possible fears and greeds.

An article about domain names in WSJ - I think - caught my attention and I went online to check out if my domains could fetch any value. One think led to another and through pure online discovery I was browsing through a site called ChangeThis.com. The manifesto about Slacker@Work drew my attention and I started to read, chuckle once in a while and found my mind going off in all different creative tangents. I had epiphanies, resurrections from the past and visions of the future.

Slacker@Work is about people that are best at doing what's important to them and that makes them the most productive within the workforce. It's therefore crucial for a slacker to find the right job, more so than the carrerist who is focusing on what will bring them to the next hierarchical level. A slacker comes up with smarter ways of doing things and is basically paying for the carrerist salary.

Obviously, that kind of manifesto got me all wound up and on a prawl for more resources, thoughts and ideas on the subject. I dove into papers on structured procrastination, lifehacks and how to run your own life.

It furthermore made me realizde that my time off should be extended. I'm looking for a life sentence.

No comments: