Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Future of Regrets

[Tucson, 92° F, São Paulo by Morcheeba]

The notion of regrets is an adult pastime. Before the age of 30 there are few regrets due to the short time span. In other words, how much damage could one do in 10 years?

After 30 everything becomes more clear but also more serious. And there is suddenly a past that one needs to be aware of. Gone is the innocence and also in many cases the joie de vivre.

So when I think about the future I'd like to start to reflect over the past. What regrets do I have? Well, there are a few: not being so impulsive, take more risks and challenge the status quo more!

There is nothing about working harder, going to church more often or working on those abs. That tells you something, doesn't it.

Funny how the past can actually teach you something about the future. The second exercise I do is to imagine myself being 80 years old, looking back at the majority of my life and asking the same question.

In the big picture the devilish attention to details disappears and the most important things stands out. Life becomes something more than the everyday and yet it's in everyday that life is lived.

To me there is one philosophical question that has never been answered: How can life be lived to the fullest? I'm not looking for a religious answer, nor a financial.

Until I find out, my bet is wine, cigars and love! :)

No comments: